For years, I’ve bought my makeup at Sephora, drugstores and department stores, comparing them to see who had the best samples or gifts with purchase or bargains at the moment. It didn’t occur to me until Urban Decay offered Naked 2 exclusively on their website that some brands might offer their own bargains to get you to buy direct from them instead of Sephora or department stores.
It turns out Smashbox.com has such a fantastic rewards program that I will probably do all my Smashbox purchases through their website from now on. The first big benefit is free shipping on any order in the US. That’s with no minimum. Buy something for $10, you still get free shipping. It’s 3-9 business days shipping, which is not the fastest ever, but your patience is rewarded with savings.
But it gets better, because you can join their Pretty Points loyalty program for free – just sign up with your email address – and you get several fantastic perks:
- In addition to the free sample (plus a bonus sample right now) that everyone gets with their purchase, you get a bonus sample. Right now, it’s a trial size mascara, and Smashbox mascaras are very good.
- They have a “Let’s Do Lunch” program, which means that any order you place on a Tuesday or Thursday between 9am and 2pm Pacific time gets you yet another free gift. So, on the order I just placed, I’m getting four gifts – the regular sample, plus a little bonus sample they’re giving right now, plus my Pretty Points bonus sample, plus the free gift.
- Every $1 you spend gets you 5 Pretty Points. 500 Pretty Points gets you a $10 rewards certificate. This means you are getting $10 back on every $100 you spend – a 10% savings. That’s a pretty darn good deal!
- You get access to their Final Call stuff (read: “clearance”). These products are discounted as much as 50% in many cases.
- Smashbox is on Ebates, so you can sign up with Ebates and get 6% cash back on all Smashbox purchases.
When I buy Smashbox through a department store, I typically get nothing but my purchase – they’ve never offered me a sample or anything. When I buy it through Sephora, I’m adding to my Sephora points which gets me samples after a time – but honestly, Sephora hasn’t had a points sample that really appealed to me in quite a few months. When I buy through Smashbox, I get great samples and full-size gifts, and free shipping every time.
Smashbox.com also has great customer service – you can call them 24/7, and speak to a live human without any hold time (I called them several times regarding a mistake I made with my order).
For me, it makes more sense to shop through Smashbox.com. Your mileage may vary. But at least check it out!